The few weeks we’ve been busy doing a variety of things for the farm and shop, including preparing beds and planting beets and turnips, weeding garlic beds, feeding the pigs and chooks (chickens), drying and preserving persimmons, keeping the shop in order, harvesting and packing sun chokes (Jerusalem artichokes), oranges, kiwis, mandarins, green beans, Russian kale, cauliflower, beet root, kohlrabi, tamarillos, choi, chards, cabbage, mizuna, and daikons.
And if that wasn’t enough, we’ve been cooking all organic and mostly farm-fresh food with our great German roommates and fellow wwoofers, Jenny and Ronnie. They taught us their basic bread recipe and now we’re baking bread every other day, which we all enjoy fresh from the oven (actually a toaster oven) slathered with yummy organic butter or fresh locally made cheese.
Despite getting off to a cold and rainy start over our first weekend, the two weeks turned out to be mostly beautiful and sunny, which has made working and showering (in the basically outside shower) easy peasy…. We work from about 8:30 to 12:30 and have the afternoons to do what we like. The town of Kerikeri is only a few minutes away and though it is small, it has a cute main street and a great used bookstore that we have spent a good amount of time browsing. Unfortunately, because it is so small, the internet access is limited and the only wireless we can find is at the McDonalds! It felt wrong, but we went ahead and used it to skype the parents back home. Life is peaceful here and we spend most evenings relaxing in front of a roaring fire and reading, journaling or playing cards.
We’re taking lots of notes, photos and getting in some more reading. This week’s read for Louisa is Lady Chatterly’s Lover by D.H. Lawerence and for Sean, Island of the Color Blind by Oliver Sacks. And for some organic reading, The Cook’s Salad Garden and The New Organic Grower’s Four-Season Harvest. Our hosts and friends here in New Zealand have introduced us to so many great books that we’re excited to have the time to actually read! I’m sure we’ll have some good recommendations to send back home when it’s all over.
We’re having such a wonderful time participating on a working organic farm and getting to know our hosts and friends. We even attended a local ceilidh night where about thirty locals and three foreign wwoofers danced together in the Waipapa town hall to traditional Celtic music. (If you’re not familiar with this activity, it’s something like square dancing to Irish music : ) It was actually quite fun and interesting to be a part of something that the average backpacker would never experience.
My mom and I just read this post together, wishing we were there too, especially for the celtic dancing!
ReplyDeleteYour self-timer photos are excellent! We were excited to see them. I LOVED Island of the Color Blind! The bread looks amazing. Wow, I can't wait to see more.
I loved this post as well! I am envious of the food, the landscape, the schedule, etc. etc. I liked Lady Chatterly's Lover but have you read Sons and Lovers? I haven't read Oliver Sacks but have heard good things about him. I think he wrote a book where he examines Oaxaca...? I know the notes you guys take help you create an excellent organic farm in the States that I would be happy to work on!
ReplyDeleteMiss you guys.