We made what amounted to cannon balls from the iron-based sand and marvelled at how heavy a handful of the stuff felt. As we strolled along just above the waterline, we admired the enormity of the beach, the unpredictable intensity of the waves and the huge cliffs that lay behind us. Not a bad place to spend your afternoons when the weather's right (which, despite the gloomy look to the photos, it was fairly pleasant).
The dunes looked so cool with the bright plants against the black sand
***
At the end of week two we got a surprise extra day off and spent most of Saturday on a hike down to the beach from the house. It isn't too far and we got the chance to get a feel for the bush in this region. It is dense, but well managed, with great big trees (including our friends the Kauri) and lots of tree ferns.
After a short picnic on the sunny beach, we made our way to the nearby waterfall, which also served as the trailhead for our return route. As you can see from the photos, the waterfall was gorgeous, and though it was less powerful than the last one we saw, it was far more beautiful.



Tomorrow we leave this lovely place and head off to the Northland on our next wwoofing adventure.
After a short picnic on the sunny beach, we made our way to the nearby waterfall, which also served as the trailhead for our return route. As you can see from the photos, the waterfall was gorgeous, and though it was less powerful than the last one we saw, it was far more beautiful.
Tomorrow we leave this lovely place and head off to the Northland on our next wwoofing adventure.
Incredible photos! I love the cannonballs and the photo of Louisa making one. the landscapes are awesome too.
ReplyDeleteMake sure you get good at using the autotimer to take some of you two together. I was wishing I'd done more of Chris and I on some of our adventures when I was looking back at the photos recently. I can't wait to hear about your next place!