Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gold Bluffs Beach

For my birthday, we moved our little camp out to the beach to enjoy much warmer weather and the local wildlife:

A few elk were there along the road to greet us as we neared the campground and we felt lucky to have seen them so close.



We set up in this lovely fir grove just a little way back from the dunes.


I know it doesn't look sunny, but it really was quite warm out there on the sand. We sat there for much of the day, reading, catnapping and ocean-watching.


That evening we had our first campfire and I made coconut rice pudding for my birthday dessert.


In the morning, I got up early to use the restroom and as I turned the corner of the little building, I was faced with the entire 30 member herd of elk. I hurried back to get Sean and together we watched them work their way through the whole campground, casually grazing on the tall grasses.

They were close!

There were lots of females

The little ones

Not a bad birthday gift this year!

1 comment:

  1. So much animal-sighting luck on this trip. The photo with the sun breaking in the left of the shot is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete